Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Still Lost....

So, to pick up my previous line of thought.....Wait, I lost it almost three months ago. I'll admit, I get an idea about a blog or podcast, and then if I feel no one is reading or listening to said media, I quit. Maybe from now on I'll assume the world wide web loves and adores me and I will write to my heart's content on whatever subject comes to mind. 

The subject that just so happens to be doing that now is an event I attended last night in service to the publication I currently labor for. The Meridian International Center is a widely recognized institution dedicated to public diplomacy and international outreach. They fulfilled their duties in conjunction with these dedications yesterday, with the opening of their art exhibit "Metropolis Now!" an exhibit exclusively featuring Chinese artists of all creeds and disciplines. Walking up the driveway to the front door, I was confronted by metallic rainbow-colored ants, the works created by artist Chen Zhiguang, who was actually in attendance at the debut. 

The Press Conference was filled mostly with Chinese media and diplomatic corps, with myself as one of the handful of caucasians scattered about the room. Even Xinhua Television, a prominent Chinese news agency was in attendance, and the presenter they brought with them was quite the adorable Chinese girl. As the press conference was kicked off, the President of the MIC Ambassador Stuart Holliday discussed the importance of international diplomacy and bilateral cooperation during these difficult economic times. He introduced the Vice President for Arts and Cultural Programs, Dr. Curtis Sandberg.

Dr. Sandberg was a very knowledgeable fellow, having visited Beijing and other sections of China recently with another MIC official whose name is lost to me. He could barely contain his excitement as he described the process of getting the works from China to the U.S. (apparently the Art arrived on Sunday, only 2 days prior to the exhibition's opening!). Finally, with an endearing goofy smile on his face, he introduced Fan Di'an, the director of the National Art Museum of China.

The director does not speak English, although I was impressed with his translator's ability to clearly voice what the director could not in our native tongue. After expressing his happiness and excitement about the exhibit's opening, he introduced the two artists who were in attendance as well. They simply stood, waved, bowed, and sat back down sheepishly. 

Finally, with the press conference over, the staff at MIC began quickly working to prepare for the gala happening an hour later. The conference room was transformed as the guests mingled amongst the art work spread among several rooms, with metallic ants crawling over every wall. After wandering the exhibition, I took some time to sit and take notes, since I had not seen my supposed compatriot from the paper at the event. 

the exhibition opened to the public at 6:30, and people of all walks streamed into the center to view the artwork and socialize. It seemed to me that the DC social crowd is a very exclusive group, as I wandered from room to room, taking the occasional awkward photo. I couldn't have felt more out of place in the midst of the beautiful women, poshly dressed men, and Chinese visitors. 

It was overwhelming, really, being there amongst the crowd. Not one to be a socialite, I felt a little weird wandering the crowd, seeing friends, colleagues, and acquaintances chat. Supposedly, two other writers from my paper were in attendance, but where they were, or even who they were in this crowd was lost to me. Honestly, I felt more at home being around MIC's secretaries and interns, since they seemed to be the only people located in and around my age group. That, and they were some very attractive ladies. Very.

Womanly woes aside, One I knew for sure: free beer and tasty snacks made this event especially nice. Beer has been absent from many of the events I've attended, and it is a welcome respite from the wine and liquor found there so often. On this night, they even had Baijiu, Chinese liquor with a sickly-sweet smell and an even weirder taste, the smell is almost enough to turn my stomach.

Another thing is for sure, if I return to this city, I hope I find a job like this one. Photography, writing, and food rank among my top 5 favorite things, and having all of them thrown in the mix of politics and international relations makes my heart beat a little faster. This is the kind of job most people dream about.

If only I had known some people there. The feeling of loneliness as I walked the halls was palpable. While everyone there knew someone, I knew nobody. Striking up a conversation with the lovely staffers seemed like a good option, but every time the idea came forward it was struck down at its very creation. 

I guess it comes down to the fact that I'm slightly antisocial. Photography is my respite from the chatting masses, hiding behind the lens a safe haven. 

    Pat out.

No comments:

Post a Comment